Salary: Commensurate with experience, expectation of up to £70k
Location: Remote, to work on UK time
Employment basis: Fulltime
Application deadline: 30th April 2021
Founded in the UK five years ago, Qunifi is now a global unified communications company distributing products through the world’s leading telephony brands.
Qunifi’s core product is Call2Teams: a cloud service technology that connects any PBX or SIP Trunk phone system to Microsoft Teams in minutes, enabling businesses to keep their existing phone system whilst enabling full collaboration within Teams.
With the recent Coronavirus pandemic Qunifi has seen near exponential growth and is now looking for talented individuals to help expand the business and fulfil ambitious plans for growth. Qunifi is backed by Pemberstone Investment Group and Microsoft.
About the role
The Platform Manager will be responsible for activities, technologies and resources required to operate and improve the infrastructure, communications, environments, and platform software configuration for all of Qunifi’s products.
This is a new role reporting to the CTO, as the existing multi-disciplinary team covering development, DevOps, and architecture is being split into separate R&D and Platform teams. The Platform manager will join as we take on a new 24/7 1st line NOC outsourcer and recruit dedicated sysadmin resource in other timezones, reporting to the Platform Manager.
Responsibilities will include:
- Directly (and hands-on) leading the building and running of a best-in-class automated infrastructure platform for the development, running and continuity of our products, using DevOps principles, global deployment, and multiple IaaS, PaaS and SaaS services.
- Leading on our strategy for automation, Continuous Deployment, and Operability.
- Building, operating and managing a server deployment across Azure and AWS in locations around the world (<100 VMs).
- Ensuring the platform SLA continues to be met as the customer base grows; including capacity management, availability management, and business continuity, and ensuring the processes to respond to and resolve incidents are defined and resourced 24×7. Given the nature of the Qunifi’s products – note that this will include being on call for specific parts of the day, including weekends, as part of the NOC team.
- Ensuring the security policies are implemented, including managing access, patching servers, managing external penetration testing, and taking an active part in maintaining the ISO27001 information security accreditation.
- Leading and collaborating with colleagues to respond to their needs as part of responding to incidents.
- Managing infrastructure and platform projects to build new capabilities or remediate existing ones.
- Making budgetary reports and recommendations to the CTO as appropriate to existing and planned infrastructure and platform initiatives.
- Recruiting and managing either directly, or via subcontract relationships, systems administrators, DevOps professionals, and infrastructure analysts.
Any other tasks as reasonably required.
Skills and experiences that will help you succeed:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – ability to work in English is a must if English isn’t your native language.
- Expertise in multiple platforms, including Linux and most likely including at least two of virtual SBCs, Azure App Services, Azure Functions. Linux experience to include common related Open Source platform technologies E.g. Redis, Security, Systemd, Load Balancing, Homer etc.
- Understanding of real-time voice traffic, including SIP and RTP; ability to follow SIP traces as part of fault diagnosis
- Experience operating SQL Azure, including replication and failover groups
- Operating in a genuinely DevOps-oriented environment, working across teams and specialisations rather than within silos.
- DevOps-related techniques such as Continuous Integration, deployment automation, Continuous Deployment and so on.
- Expertise in and opinions on cloud environments such as MS Azure and Amazon AWS.
- Server configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Broad and deep knowledge of various server platforms, and how to scale and configure each for reliability and automation.
- Experience of managing in-house or outsourced Network Operations Centre and Security Operations Centres would be very valuable.
- Some expertise, or willingness, to line manage team members
Qualities and behaviours we’re looking for:
- A true pair of ‘safe hands’ inspiring confidence that will keep the promises we make to our partners, e.g. a combination of “been there, seen it, bought the t-shirt” and “how could we do this quicker, better, cheaper”.
- Striking the perfect balance between passion, perfection and practicality – doing great stuff but knowing when to stop and just get it out the door.
- Preference for working in a fast-moving, constantly changing environment.
- Love for, and curiosity about, new technologies and methodologies and how they shape the world.
- Experience of working in a startup or scale-up with an understanding that everyone needs to roll their sleeves up and get involved.
Qunifi is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive workplace which values and benefits from the diversity of our workforce.
Email your CV to [email protected]. Please include a few paragraphs on why you’re interested in the role (formal cover letter not required).
NOTE TO AGENCIES: where Agency assistance is required the Qunifi Recruitment Team will engage directly with suppliers. Unsolicited CVs / profiles supplied to Qunifi by Recruitment Agencies will not be accepted for this role.